Thursday 7 January 2016

He Started Beating Me 4Days After He Paid My Dowry

A 29-year-old woman, Perpetual Ezenwa, has beckoned on the customary court in Igando Lagos state to dissolve her four months old marriage to Charles Ezenwa.

Perpetual claimed that her husband turned her into a punching bag less than 4 days after paying her dowry. Seeking for divorce over what she termed domestic violence, Perpetual said:

  Lagos state magistrate court

“We married after courting for less than 2 months. Before I married him, I’ve started noticing his behaviors but when I told my father he said I should not leave him, that he would change after our marriage.

“I believed he said that because they are from the same village in Imo and being the first daughter of my parents, they want me to marry on time. But, he kept becoming worse and I’ve decided to leave after 4 months of our marriage.

Four days after the payment of my dowry and our traditional marriage, he started beating me on flimsy excuses. He beats me with turning sticks in one of those days all because I received a text message from a friend and the message only reads “good day madam, how’s your weekend “.

This was what Charles saw that day and he nearly killed me. Come to think of it, this same man that was beating me is having an affair with a fiancée of one of our neighbors. He was caught on one of those days and I got to know about it. I told my father of all the happenstance but he would only say I should endure it.

When I couldn’t bear it again, I’ve moved to my parent’s house and I’ve asked Charles to come and get his dowry back according to our tradition so that I can marry another man but, he has refused to collect it saying he would allow me to suffer because he knew I can’t marry another man unless he collect the dowry and that I would grow old in my father’s house.”

Although Charles was not in the court of law to say his own side of the story, Perpetual wants the court to force him to collect back his dowry. The case was however adjourned till February 8, 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment